Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really loved this book. It has one of the greatest life lessons I have ever read about. So beautiful, and so sad all at the same time.
I really liked how the author wrote this book. Each chapter was told from a different character's perspective. I believe it was a total of seven characters who's eyes we got to see life through. I have read that some people hated this, but I thought it made the story 20 times better. It let me see how Kate's cancer was affecting everyone in the family. You never think of all the sides when you only get the story through one person, so when you read about how Anna was conceived only to keep Kate alive, but then you read the story through their mom's words, and see that a mother would do anything to save a child, you feel like you understand both of them and you just can't judge them or take sides.
I also loved the end of this book. Although it was very sad, it was a huge lesson. Never take anyone for granted. No matter what. Life is not something that comes with a "guarantee" sticker on it.
As for the movie, I HATED IT. I was so disappointed I almost asked for a refund! I seriously took tissues to the theater for nothing. When I realized that the movie was not going to end like the book, I literally yelled. I heard all of the girls in the movie theater crying and I wanted to be like "SERIOUSLY?!?! Read the book. This ending is nothing compared to the book!"
I give this book a 10 out of 10. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
-Mimi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Sister's Keeper was another great book. If you saw the movie and enjoyed it, you will like the book a lot more because the ending is totally different. Not good, but different.

I think young girls and older women would all enjoy it. Jodi Picoult does a great job in writing the book from many different points of view. Not only do you grow attached to the character and their struggles, you are with them as the family is torn apart.

The story is based around the lives of the Fitzgerald family and how they live with one daughter, Kate who has Leukemia, a son Jesse who is rebellious as can be, and Ana who is trying to stick up for herself and live a normal life.

Basically Ana was made for one purpose. To help Kate live. Ana spent most of her life in the hospital donating blood and bone marrow and both her and Kate have had enough.

Throughout the book I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Sara, their mother. I feel like all she cares about is Kate and uses Ana like a lab rat. I know I'm not a mother but I do know that I could never do anything to hurt one child to save another.

Their father Brian on the other hand is loving and agrees that Ana should be able to do what she wants with her own body. I am definitely Team Brian on this one and I feel like he should divorce Sara and make her donate her bone marrow to see how it freaking feels!!

MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

There are a few parts in the book that made me cry like a BABY. First when Kate goes to the dance with her boyfriend and again when he dies! Ugh it was horribly sad! And the ending, oh boy, get your tissues ready!!

Unlike the movie, in the end , Ana dies in a car accident and ultimately ends up donating her kidney to her sister.

I give this book a 9/10. It is one of those books that makes you feel very humble about your own life yet it is still heartwarming. You should definitely read it! If you have already, what did you think about it?

-Christina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you Christina. As much as I disagreed with Sara at times, I couldn't imagine having to sit back and watch my baby die. Her mistake was taking Ana for granted and only seeing youth and health in her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book is truly amazing. I hated the movie as well.

    I love reading your blog girls, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete