Wednesday, June 23, 2010

P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

P.S. I Love You is one of my favorite books. I bought it in Portland, Oregon so that I could have something to read on that long ass trip to Florida. Once I started, I couldn’t put it down. This was the first book to make me both laugh out loud, and cry like a baby. I was literally laughing by myself on the plane. I think the people sitting next to me thought I had escaped Shutter Island.

Aside from the laughing, it was very sad. As you know, Holly's (the main character) husband dies at the beginning and leaves her 12 notes. She is to open one letter per month, and although some of the letters leads to something funny, it’s still sad that he isn’t with her.

It’s not your typical love story, but it’s amazing how her husband helps pull her out of that hole, and helps her through her first year without him, even in death.

BEAUTIFUL!

At the end, she doesn’t end up with anyone which Christina didn’t like, but I thought was perfect. I think people have to give themselves sufficient amount of time to move on. I think that she had a year to heal, with the help of her husband, and the end of the book is just the beginning of her new chapter.

I would definitely recommend this book to you all out there. And I’d also like to point out that you shouldn’t judge this book by its movie. I absolutely HATED the movie. I hated it so much, I can’t even watch it when it’s on HBO, I have to change the channel or walk out of the room. They totally butchered the book.

If you have read it or plan to read it, let me know what you think. I’m telling you right now, it was awesome!

-Mimi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I have to start by saying I read this book because I really enjoyed the movie. Now, I really enjoyed the book and HATE the movie!! I don't understand how they can say the movie is based off the book because they are sooooooo different! The movie does it no justice at all, it's such a shame!

Holly is such a great character. I laughed and cried with her all the way through. She is so strong also. Even after the death of her husband, she finds ways to live her life. (With the help of her deceased husband and his list of course )

I really love how we learn so much about her brothers and sisters because they made the book so much better. You can easily relate to the family structure and the problems they encounter.

The ending I will say could have been better. I love my fairy tale endings and this one didn't have that. :(

All in all, I give the book a 9\10. Be sure to have your tissues ready because if you have a heart, you will need them!!

Have you seen the movie or read the book? Let us know what you think!

-Christina

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this movie, I wasn't sure about the book, but I will definitely read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina n Mimi,
    Good to see your reviews here.. and its really a different and wonderful thought to share different reviews of the same book in the same blog...Appending my review on this book here..


    "
    Done with another book.. But I miss my usual feeling of accomplishing something after every book.. I wish P.S I Love You had lasted longer.. just as Holly wished Gerry’s cards kept coming on all the remaining months of her life..

    Holly and Gerry, the 2 names which I woke up and slept to will never leave my thoughts, when anything related to Love appears.. A book apart from the Chicken Soup series which had my eyes constantly filled from the first chapter, and yet I never regretted reading it.. It is more about a mourning story of a young widow and still it never felt so. Every card from Gerry made me wish Holly woke up from her dream to her loving husband beside.

    It depicts the Love of a Marvelous man towards his wife, how they love each other and how they fight over silly stuff and how all the imperfections no longer seem imperfect once the final date is nearing, and when it arrives, how the sad-struck Holly deals with the empty house and the uninterested challenges Gerry posed on her, how she demarcates the true friends from the not-so-true ones, how she manages being amidst a crowd of couples evolving, breaking up or ditching each other, how she evolves as a stronger woman every day and making us go weak as pages fly.

    Amidst all these, you would really be satisfied with lot of smiles, laughter, love and curses for Cecilia Ahern for not getting impressed by the Dream chapter we have in most of our Tamil movies.

    There is a movie available on this novel. But, pls do read the book and for sure, you would hunt for a copy to experience more of Holly and Gerry..

    P.S: I miss you Holly

    "

    You can follow me on bukwormie.blogspot.com for my other reviews.

    Gud to no u,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't read the book yet but i lovee the movie :))

    ReplyDelete