Saturday, June 12, 2010

Slumdog Millionaire a.k.a Q&A by Vikas Swarup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slumdog Millionaire is buy far one of the most amazing books I’ve ever read. It’s the first book that’s not a love story that I can say I LOVED.

I took this book everywhere with me because I was hooked. I wanted to know what was going to happen next, and what it was in that story being told in that chapter that gave Ram Mohammed Thomas the answer for the next question.

There are very sad parts, but it’s the truth of what happens in poverty areas. Although it’s in a book, it’s very real, and those of us who were lucky enough to grow up safe and with some commodities should not only be grateful, but we should keep in mind that others haven’t been as lucky and our goal should be to try and help some day.

I thought in the book that I would hate Salim like I did in the movie, but Ram’s brother or best friend in the movie, is nothing like Salim. And Latika is also a made up character. No such person exists in the book.

It’s a wonderful book. You will learn new facts, be surprised by some of the twists, and you will have a huge amount of love and respect for the main character. He is truly a great person. We need more people like him in the world.

I strongly recommend this book to men and women. It’s GREAT! You will feel good at the end of it.

If you have read it or plan on reading it, please share your thoughts with us.

-Mimi


**

While having a discussion with Christina about the book, I said something that I'd like to share without you, that I previously hadn't. Hope this helps in giving you a new insight of the book.

"...but this is the life of many people in counties like the one our parents come from. I loved that this boy who had every reason to be a 'contract killer, world/man hater' is despite all odds, a wonderful person and best of all, gets his day and gets rewarded for his good deeds."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never before have I read a book that was so different from the movie! It actually really pisses me off.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but the book is so raw and kind of depressing. So many things happen in Ram's life. He witnesses death of every kind (suicide, murder, near death experiences) and also sees things first hand that most people shouldn't. (Like a priest having sex with a guy and a girl next door being raped by her own father) I guess the movie chose not to show those things, but like it or not, that's real life.

This is definitely the number one book for having the most characters I wanted to punch in the face! Luckily, most of those ass wipes got what they deserved.

Even the ending had a crazy twist! I want to give it away but Mimi will get pissed.

I say if you enjoyed the movie, give the book a chance. It is very different and pretty crazy to say the least! One word of advice, make sure you pay close attention to the names because its so easy to get confused with the characters!

Have you seen the movie? What did you think? Have you also read the book? Let us know!

-Christina

3 comments: