Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This book is extremely sad, but is still a great read. The book is about Bruno, a young child during WWII. This boy I should add, is a son of a very powerful Commandant in the Third Reich.


Bruno is so oblivious to the things going on around him, which makes you feel even worse about his situation and the end of the book. (No spoilers here! )


His sister Gretel is a bitch and I hate her throughout the book. For the most part, She is so mean to Bruno and is a horrible older sister.


Another character I hated was Lieutenant Kotler. I wanted to knee him right between his legs. He was a MAJOR a-hole! He killed a dog, was horribly mean to Pavel (the waiter at the house) and basically couldn't have been any worse of a man!

I also wanted to punch Bruno's father as well just for being the dick wad that he was and for agreeing to do what he was told to do!


The story is all about Bruno and his life at his new home, which he calls "out-with." (Really Auschwitz) Later in the book he meets Shmuel, a Jewish boy who is in the concentration camp. Of course Bruno doesn't understand what is going on, and he continues to meet with Shmeuel as much as he can, to talk and be friends with him. (Bruno sits on one side of the fence and Shmuel on the other)

The book is heartbreaking, and so is the movie. I don't want to tell you what happens in the end-but it will surprise you. I say this is a must read for anyone, maybe as young as 8th grade just so you can get a different perspective of what happened during this horrible time in history.


-Christina


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a book that everyone interested in the holocaust or learning about it in school, should read. It's super short too, so you don't have any excuses not to read it. The book is written from Bruno's perspective, which is a little heartwarming because he's so young and so naive about what is happening around him.


I really like Bruno because he had a good heart. He was kind to the people who worked at his home, and later on in the book, was very kind to Shmuel. He did kind things like take food for Shmuel without him having to ask.


I really disliked Lieutenant Kotler, and although I'm sure Bruno's dad was an evil man, it's very hard to know how bad he was because through Bruno's eyes, he was a good man, and so I don't know if he enjoyed doing what he did or just did it because he had to. Either way. I think he's scum.


The ending is sad. It will make you think, and I hope you get the message out of it. It's very ironic, but then again, life is that way. As much as I hate to say it, Bruno's dad got exactly what he deserved.


I would definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone over the age of 12.


-Mimi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment