Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Marley and Me by John Grogan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read Marley and Me in college, I think it was one of the first books I read that wasn't a love story. One of the guys that I worked with at school recommended it to me and I gave it a shot. All I have to say is that I absolutely loved it.

At around the time I read this book my dog was about 2 or 3 years old. So it was so easy to sympathize.

Marley made me laugh out loud at times, I was horrified at times at the messes he made, and I also cried like a little child. I mean, I cried my eyes out. I could not stop hugging my dog for days.

I totally love this book because it makes you appreciate your furry friend so much more. Unfortunately they don't have a long life span, but every moment they spend with you, will stick with you forever, and it's the one friend you will never forget.

A pet is loyal, will love you no matter what, and in his/her eyes, you are a hero. This book really made me remember that.

It's a book you will surely enjoy, especially if you have a pet.

If you have read it, or plan to do so, let us know. We would love to know what you think.

-Mimi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just finished reading Marley & Me, and I am very upset and sad. I already knew how the book was going to end, with the death of Marley, but I wasn't prepared for how I was going to feel. If you don't have a pet, you will never understand, so don't even read my review because you will think I am an emotional crazy lady.

I cry A LOT when I read, because I get so attached to the characters and their stories, but Marley and Me was about a dog and his owners, yet I still cried like my whole family just died. This book will definitely make you laugh and cry, but it will also make you feel so lucky to have a great pet.

Marley to me, is a disaster dog and I would have probably gotten rid of him after a few months. No matter what the Grogan family did, he continued to tear the house apart. I am sure the family spent 10,000+ on all the things he damaged, but they continued to love him, up until his last day.

You are probably thinking, "I don't want to waste my time on a book about some lame dog" but this book is more than that. Yes, it is about a dog, but it also is about a family and the struggles they have to overcome.

I especially liked the book because the family lived in Boca Raton and John (the author/main character) describes the town so perfectly. Mimi and I both went to school in Boca so we can definitely relate to the stories he told. (On a side note, John liked to laugh at the Boca ladies with their small dogs, and I have a small Chihuahua, and just because he is tiny and can fit in my purse, doesn't mean he is any less of a dog! so THERE!)

I recommend this book to ANYONE, especially if you have a dog. Just don't get mad at me when you are crying your heart out by the end of the book. Also, if you saw the movie, the book is 10000 times better (like usual) so give it a read!!

Have you seen the movie or read the book, what did you think?

-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment