Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Reliable Wife was a very intriguing book. It wasn’t hard to get in to it, and I always wanted to know more so it’s was kind of hard to put it down.

The story is about a man Ralph, who puts an ad in the paper for a wife. Catherine answers, but she isn’t who she says she is. She thinks Ralph has no idea, but he is a little smarter than she thinks. He sends her out to find his son and you will just have to wait and see if it was worth going to get him.

I wasn’t a fan of the way the book was written. There wasn’t really any action for the characters. It was more about thoughts and what was going on inside the characters mind.

There was also too much sex in the book. I’m not trying to act all prude or anything, I’ve read romance novels and I’m sure it doesn’t get more explicit than that but I was a weird sex in this book. You’d have to read it to know what I was saying.

The end wasn’t very satisfying to me. I think this was the one instance where I would like liked the author to just write one more chapter and tell me what Ralph Truitt was thinking. I didn’t feel satisfaction after closing the book. I would have wanted a clear ending. I’m not saying I want more. I’m okay with what I read, but I’m not satisfied.

-Mimi

~~~~~~~~~

The Reliable Wife was a good book, not great, just good. It goes to show how even rich people don't have all the happiness in the world.

There are a few twists and turns, but if you are a smart cookie like me, you might figure it out early on.

For the most part, I am a lover of happy endings, and this ending was how I think it should be.

The book is about a rich man named Ralph Truitt who had a hard life and writes an ad in the paper to find a new wife. Catherine Land is the woman that answers and they end up getting married. Catherine is basically a sneaky bitch that will do just about anything to get what she wants.

*SORT OF SPOILER* Once she gets close to getting what she wants, she finds the errors in her ways and does everything possible to become a good wife and woman. They end up falling in love and as a couple they go through a crap load of ups and downs. (deaths, heart breaks, lies, and more lies)

For me, this was only a good book and not a GREAT one because I wanted to know more about certain characters. Not only that, but I HATED HATED HATED Ralph's son. He was a gold digging whore of a man and he got what he deserved!

If you want to read a book set in a different time, when things were depressing and people were dying from all sorts of diseases, then pick it up! :)

Did you read this book? What did you think?

-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment