Friday, September 10, 2010

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book was absolutely AMAZING! I know I probably have, and will say that a lot about other books in this blog, but this one was hard to put down. It's one of the most suspenseful books I have ever read, and it brings out a lot of emotions.

I felt really bad for Mary. She was so kind, and had no choice than to become the King's mistress, and deal with the horrors her sister Ann made her go through, but she stayed strong. Meanwhile, Ann was the nastiest bitch I have ever read about in a book. She didn't care at all for her sister Mary, and used her like an old rag doll. Just thinking about it makes me mad. You can't begin to image how evil Ann was until you read this book.

There were other characters here and there that you will love, hate, or will just annoy you, but no one will bring out the emotions like Ann. You're going to want to punch the book while you're reading. The things she does are appalling! I won't ruin anything for you, but I will tell you that on a scale from Bitch to Mega Bitch, she gets a "Ultra Mega Super Bitch."

I saw the movie, and I will say it was good. And trust me, I'm usually hard on movies of my favorite books, but I will tell you that the Ann in the movie isn't even half the bitch Ann was in the book. I recommend both the movie and the book, but especially the book. It's definitely a GREAT read.

-Mimi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was my second time reading The Other Boleyn Girl. I bitched at Mimi for months telling her I did not want to read it again, but I am sure glad I did! The first time I read it way too fast and kept confusing it with the movie. This time, I read it nice and slow and enjoyed it much more.

First of all, if you liked the movie, you will LOVE the book. It is really really big, but super good and scandalous! It is based very roughly on the life of Henry VIII and wife of a few years, Anne Boleyn. (mother of the great Queen Elizabeth)

Basically the king sleeps around with Anne and her sister Mary and just about every other girl around him. I really REALLY hate him. He is gross, annoying, and cocky just because he is the king he can get whatever or whomever he wants.

Anne is a total bitch consumed with the idea of wealth and power. Because of that, she gets beheaded, which she 100% deserves. Her sister Mary on the other hand (the narrator of the book) is forced into the life consumed by power. At a very young age she is made to sleep with the King and be his lover. Her whole life is based on what her family makes her do, it really sucks and I feel bad for her.

This is a time where men are the rulers of the women, and I am so glad I was not alive then. I would have been the first one to be hung! The book really upsets me because of the lives the women have. They literally eat, sleep, and dress to make the men happy.. how horrible! My favorite part of the book is when Mary finally realizes she should stop listening to her family and do what she wants to do! Luckily, she has a good life with her husband and children.

This book is NOT for younger people.. there are a few graphic parts that are mot meant for them. Like I said, if you like scandal, you will love this book!

Have you seen the movie or read the book? What did you think?

-Christina

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment